After the early death of Cäsar Förster in 1915 his two sons, the ingenious pianomaker Gerhard Förster and the businessman Manfred Förster continued the company founded by their grandfather. So the revolutionary constructions like the quartertone grand piano and the elektrochord were created in the late nineteen twenties.

The death of Gerhard Förster in 1966 brought about the first changes in ownership. The taking over of the company by Wolfgang Förster, whose father Manfred had died in 1952, brought about many problems. The enormously high inheritance taxes could only be paid by allowing the government to purchase shares in the company.

During the last wave of government nationalization in 1972, the company was transformed into the state owned VEB Flügel-und Pianobau Löbau. Still under the management of Wolfgang Förster, the company was annexed be part of the German Piano-Union Leipzig. Even though the ruling ideology of the time tried to push the Förster name into the background, the character and brand name Förster was sustained due to its successful export business.

The family name was added back into the company name in 1976 and it was re-named VEB Förster Pianos Löbau.

Despite numerous awards and medals for various grand piano designs presented at the most important international fairs, it was difficult for Förster, as well as all other factories in the socialistic economy of the German Democratic Republic, to secure needed parts. The significance of being a source of foreign currency made it possible to procure parts from non-socialistic countries and so it was that Förster able to use Renner piano actions as early as 1987.

After the collapse of the government of the German Democratic Republic, Wolfgang Foerster was able to re-privatize the family business.

The general economic recession of the early 1990`s lead to a restructuring of the production and staffing of the company. In the following years, numerous investments were made for the upkeep and development of the traditional production facility.

From 1966 till 2008 Wolfgang Förster directed the company before he passed on the heritage to his daughter Annekatrin Förster.
page: 2/2
© 2014 AUGUST FÖRSTER